Tuesday, August 25, 2009

in the beginning...

It was around this time of the year in 1979 that West T. and his loving wife, Dorothy Belle held a meeting in the Danville City Hall to see how many folks might be interested in forming a community theatre.

Shortly after that meeting they held auditions for the first production. Many showed up. I showed up. I auditioned. I wasn't cast. I couldn't imagine that. But, I persevered and it wasn't long before West T. Hill decided I merited a second look and he cast me in a play and it was a "doozy"...a little story about George Bernard Shaw, entitled "Dear Liar".

The interest in a community theatre was great. A handful of actor wannabes came together about 2-3 times a year for the first few years and produced plays wherever they could "hang their hat". The quality of the performances was excellent and we were off and running...

No comments:

Post a Comment